Wednesday, June 4, 2008

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

We've been on vacation the last 10 days. In the car..for hours and hours..just the two of us..for hours and hours... We survived it, so that is something to be thankful for. Actually, this was the best trip together..in the car..for all those hours..in years! Okay. I'll cut it out. Actually, there were 3 of us in that car, hubby Roger, me AND the guy reading the audio book we purchased to listen to on the trip. Actually, there were 2 books, but I slept through most of the first one, a Louis Lamour western. I actually bought that one to appease Roger so I could then listen to the one I really wanted to hear, The Last Juror, by John Grisham. Now, that was a good book. Of course, both books only lasted one-way on the trip, so we listened to music on the way home. You know, that Tennessee Ernie Ford could SING!!! We had his 40-song hymn collection and it was very enjoyable.
So - we visited old friends in Kansas which is always enjoyable. That was my first birthday celebration, complete with a very pretty decorated cake and ice cream. It was my actual birthday and very fun to celebrate with them.
On to Nebraska to visit family. A Sister Get-Together was planned at the bowling alley and restaurant/bar owned by one of my sisters. Two sisters had to work, so we had five there. I did get to see one of the working sisters on Saturday, but we are thinking about putting out an All Points Bulletin for the other one. We did Karaoke and several of the Senior Citizens from the Center down the street came in and listened to us. The afternoon was cut a little short because of storms moving in, but it was fun. Later that night, we spent about 45 minutes in the basement of my sister's house in Grand Island NE while the tornado sirens sounded. The bad part of the storm missed us, but we got a lot of rain.
We traveled on to Omaha on Friday afternoon to spend some time with my daughter and her hubby and two boys. My son and his wife and their two young adult kids also came to Omaha so we were all together for the first time in a couple of years. Had another birthday celebration there. With 6 guests and only one guestroom, my daughter managed to fix up a place for everyone to sleep and we all had a door on our room. Grandson Trevin's door was a sheet, but it WAS a door. Luckily she does have a large home and can utilize their office and den as bedrooms. She also has turned into quite a good cook and the food was awesome. We all had a wonderful time. All guests left around noonish, so I'm sure there were naps all around after we left!
We decided to drive straight through to Texas - 11 hours. It actually seemed to go pretty fast. So, we're back to work and getting back into the routine. Until next year, when we will do it all over again...in the car...for hours and hours......

No comments: