Sunday, July 19, 2009

I'm Retired......Now What!

Well, it's here. Retirement. R-E-T-I-R-E-M-E-N-T. Funny how that word always seemed to describe something that was far off in the future. Way far off!! Well, now it's not far off....It's here! And I'm not sure what to do with it. It arrived at 5:00 pm on May 1st. 46 years, give or take a year or two, of working full-time for several companies along the way, some small, some large. The last one was the longest tenure.....nearly 24 years. And when I walked out of there that last day, it seemed like yesterday when I walked in for the first time. There were approximately 16 people working there on my first day; on the last day, there were
6.
Hubby has been retired for a couple of years, but doing some part time work for a friend of ours anywhere from 2 to 6 days a week. First adjustment: he's not working at all right now. He's here, with me, all day, every day for the most part. Enough said! I'm sure you get the picture.
I know I have to get into a set routine as much as I can as far as housework, laundry, etc. are concerned. It was always a little haphazard while I was working; okay, sometimes pretty much nonexistent. But..I digress. It's now July 19th; still no regular routine. I tried setting a "laundry day" and then ended up having to do something else (more fun, of course). It's getting better, but probably won't last. At least I know if it doesn't get done today, I'll be here tomorrow to do it.....or the next day, etc.
And, to make matters worse - I have discovered FB! Facebook! Internet site where you can catch up with all your friends from birth til' now. Your whole life right out there just waiting to be remembered, talked about, laughed about...and oh my!!.....it's addicting! I've begun eating my meals in front of the computer just so I don't miss a post by someone. I don't want to miss anything on there..Ever!! My high school girlfriends are all out there, the girlfriends I spoke about in a prior post on this blog. Now I get to see what they are doing every day...or hour sometimes. Cool!!! My son-in-law is on there, but he doesn't blog much. My daughter is too busy with the grandboys and she has a lot more willpower than I do so she's not sitting here wasting time on the computer. She actually has a Life!!
And to make things even more fun....there's Skype. If you have a webcam, you can go out on Skype and actually video-call someone else who has one. My friend, Suzi, and I Skype several times a week. We actually see each other as we're talking.....she looks a little scary, but I love her so I will accept her as she is. I must tell you she looks scary because she is sitting in front of the window and there is no light on her face. All I see are her glasses with the lenses reflecting the computer screen back at me and this ghostly body. A tad distracting, but I try not to look for long periods of time. Well, I suppose my Skypeing days are now over with her. Suzi, I love ya....you know I do.
Well, I must go get dinner on the table....be back in a few to check out FB while dripping my food on the keyboard. Cheers!

No comments: